University of Toronto
Janet Rosenberg & Studio (Landscape Architect)
Photography Credit: Tom Arban Photography Inc.
Located at 230 College Street, the University of Toronto’s Student Commons is located in the heart of the University’s downtown St. George campus. Renovation and expansion of the early-20th century building was led by Superkül Architects. The building, originally built in 1909 as the Royal College of Dental Surgeons, was most recently home to the Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design until it’s move in 2017.
The JRS landscape compliments the architectural design which blends both traditional and contemporary design. The scope of the landscape work included the front and side entrances to the building, with connected accessible walkways, bicycle parking and benches. The result is a welcoming central hub for students that integrates and juxtaposes old and new architectural design with increased accessibility and a reinforcement of the buildings connection to both the campus and cityscape.